I meant to try overnight oats for ages, I mean really for ages, years probably now… but for some reason I could not come around to do it until couple of weeks ago when I decided that I’m fed up with my usual cooked oats…
At first I tried to soak them in water and then add dash of regular milk in the morning, it was fine but not as tasty as I would expect. Next I tried them with milk alone but the oats turned out too slimy to my liking. The third time I made them with almond milk and my oats were almost perfect until I discovered almond & coconut milk which is my favourite now! Coconut milk alone works here as well.
This is very simple gluten-free and dairy free recipe with an apple and some almond flakes for extra crunch, some more overnight oat versions coming soon.
- 1 cup of milk of your choice (I used here almond & coconut milk)
- ½ cup of oats
- 1 apple (chopped)
- 1 – 2 tbs toasted almond flakes
- fridge container or bowl with some cover (I often use oversized freezer container so I can later treat it as a bowl and in the morning mix the other ingredients in)
- In the evening add milk and oats to the container and place in the fridge.
- In the following morning remove it from the fridge and leave aside for a while to get a bit warmer.
- Add chopped apples and almond flakes.
- Stir and enjoy.
More healthy breakfast ideas.
More Summer recipes.