Those little burgers make perfect lunch box item, they are also superb for picnics and would make great party food as well.
This is quick end easy fish cakes recipe using tinned tuna.
- 4 x 185 g tins of tuna in brine (drained and flaked)
- 500 g onions (chopped finely)
- 25 g unsalted butter for frying onions
- oil for frying burgers (I use rapeseed or corn oil)
- 3 – 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 cups plain rice
- 1 tbs Adobo seasoning or vegetable stock powder
- small handful of fresh lemon thyme (chopped)
- kitchen paper towels
- silicon brush
- Cook rice with Adobo and a little bit more water than needed so it will be sticky.
- In meantime fry onions on butter till golden brown, add tuna and fry some more.
- Remove from fire, add cooked rice and lemon thyme.
- In two deep flat plates prepare eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Take 1 tbs of tuna mixture at the time and create small oval shapes, deep them in egg and then in breadcrumbs and fry, until golden brown from both sides, on brushed with oil non stick frying pan or even better cast iron pan.
- Drain on paper towels before serving to the plates.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce or reduced salt soy sauce and some salad on a side.
Makes 24 mini burgers.