Spinach, Leek, Mushroom and Potato SoupPosted on: 14th Mar 2013
[recipe originally by Ruth from Once Upon A Feast]
- 3 large leeks – about 500g (halved lengthwise, sliced)
- 2 tbs olive oil or 25g unsalted butter
- 500-600g chestnut mushrooms or white button mushrooms (sliced)
- 300g fresh spinach leaves (chopped)
- 300-400g new potatoes (coarsely cubed)
- 1500 ml hot water
- 4 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- sea salt
- black peppercorns
- 1 tbs dried thyme or even better some fresh / frozen thyme (stems removed)
- On he bottom of large pot sauté leeks on half of the oil or butter till soft.
- Then add the rest of the oil or butter, mushrooms and potatoes, sauté for another 5 minutes.
- In meantime dissolve cubes in hot water to create broth.
- Add the broth to the pot with leeks and mushrooms, cover and cook on medium fire for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from fire, add spinach and stir well.
- Mash some of the potatoes for the soup to look creamy, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve to the plates.
Serve 4-5 people.
Skip the potatoes, add a bit of crème fraîche to make the soup creamy and serve with freshly baked bread sticks as like to do sometimes.
I posted this article originally on 9th of March 2008, I’m reposting it now as I have updated images and recipe itself as well.
Similar soup recipes from other blogs:
Michelle garnished her leek & potato soup with chopped chive and served it with toasted baguette and Gruyère cheese.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through our RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look, favourite those you like the most or suggest new images to be added... Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (!)
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).