Pearl Barley Spinach Salad with Garlic & Chilli FlakesPosted on: 28th Jul 2012
- 3 cups / 500g dry pearl barley
- 9 cups boiling water
- 4 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tbs dried oregano
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ garlic head (peeled, chopped)
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 1-2 sweet red pointed peppers or red bell peppers (diced)
- 250g spinach leaves (chopped)
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- handful of fresh basil leaves / about 20 (chopped)
- sea salt – to taste
- In a large pot place barley, water and cubes, bring to boil.
- Reduce fire, add oregano, chilli flakes, lemon juice and cook covered for about 40-50 minutes, until almost all water is gone.
- Turn of the fire, leave covered for another 10 minutes.
- Separate barley with a fork, stir in olive oil, onion and garlic.
- Wait until the barley is not too hot before adding spinach, basil and peppers, otherwise they will get wilted.
- Season to taste with salt if necessary and enjoy either while still warm, at a room temperature or cold.
Serves 6-8 people as a part of meal or many more as a salad.
This salad taste very good with smoked mackerel either fresh or from the tin.
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).