Pearl Barley Spinach Salad with Garlic & Chilli FlakesPosted on: 28th Jul 2012
- 3 cups / 500g dry pearl barley
- 9 cups boiling water
- 4 vegetable cubes (10g each)
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tbs dried oregano
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ garlic head (peeled, chopped)
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 1-2 sweet red pointed peppers or red bell peppers (diced)
- 250g spinach leaves (chopped)
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- handful of fresh basil leaves / about 20 (chopped)
- sea salt – to taste
- In a large pot place barley, water and cubes, bring to boil.
- Reduce fire, add oregano, chilli flakes, lemon juice and cook covered for about 40-50 minutes, until almost all water is gone.
- Turn of the fire, leave covered for another 10 minutes.
- Separate barley with a fork, stir in olive oil, onion and garlic.
- Wait until the barley is not too hot before adding spinach, basil and peppers, otherwise they will get wilted.
- Season to taste with salt if necessary and enjoy either while still warm, at a room temperature or cold.
Serves 6-8 people as a part of meal or many more as a salad.
This salad taste very good with smoked mackerel either fresh or from the tin.
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through 416 Studios' RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look...
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).