for the cake
- 2½ cups of plain flour
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 250g unsalted butter (softened)
- 6 eggs (7-8 if small)
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 2 cups coarsely grated carrots
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean (do not discard the pod, use it to make home-made vanilla sugar)
- 1 tbs baking powder
for the strawberry icing
- 125 g of unsalted butter or margarine / half a bar
- 6 tbs strawberry Nesquick powder
- few drops of red food colouring
- 1 tbs or a little bit more milk or water
- handful / about ½ cup of dessicated coconut
- hand mixer – optional
- large bundt baking pan (I used silicone one placed on baking tray)
- whisk to beat the egg whites (I used manual one)
- two mixing bowls, small for egg whites and bigger one for the rest of the ingredients
- wooden skewer
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Separate egg yolks from the whites.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, egg yolks and butter and mix until well combined.
- In smaller bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff and leave aside.
- Gradually add to the large mixing bowl flour mixed with baking powder, vanilla seeds, carrot, coconut and egg whites.
- Transfer cake mixture into baking pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, reducing temperature after 25 minutes to about 160°C (320°F), check with the skewer if the cake is baked through and dry inside.
- Once the cake is ready remove it from the mould and start preparing the icing.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, add Nesquick powder, milk and continue heating and stirring until the icing have smooth texture.
- Remove from fire, continue stirring to cool down the icing a bit until it is starting to have quite thick consistence.
- Pour icing over the cake and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Let it cool down completely before sharing.
Make about 10-16 pieces of cake.
This cake is based on similar cake with spices, walnuts and chocolate: Spiced Carrot Cake with Coconut & Chocolate Icing.