- 2 large or 4 smaller fresh mackerel fillets – about 600g (halved)
- ½ creamed coconut bar – 100g (chopped)
- ¾ cup hot water
- 2 tsp mild Caribbean curry powder (or any other curry powder)
- sea salt
- black or rainbow peppercorns (freshly cracked)
- 4 or more medium tomatoes (quartered)
- fresh coriander / cilantro – optional
- 1½ tsp dried chopped garlic
- oven proof dish – I used rectangular 23×27cm, 4 l Pyrex but dish does not have to be so deep
- Place mackerels on the bottom of oven proof dish (skin down), top with chopped coconut, curry powder, sea salt, cracked pepper, garlic, pour over hot water.
- On the top place tomatoes (skin up) and bake in 200°C (392°F) for about 25-30 minutes until fish is ready, tomatoes are roasted and sauce is not too watery.
- Share fish the plates, top with roasted tomatoes and coconut sauce, sprinkle optionally with fresh coriander.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and carrots or some fried plantain on a side.
Makes 4 servings.
Creamed coconut bar and water can be replaced with a cup of coconut cream.
Looking for more baked fish recipe ideas?
Jeanne baked tilapia whole with flat-leaf parsley & garlic.