- 4 – 6 large red sweet bell peppers or 8 smaller ones – about 1 kg
- 1 kg frozen cauliflower or fresh cauliflower cut into florets
- 1½ litres of water
- 4 vegetable cubes (10 g each)
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper – optional (I often skip it because of the kids)
- ½-1 whole garlic, peeled and chopped or 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 tbs lemon juice
- rainbow peppercorns
- fresh chives or green part of spring onions (chopped) – optional
- ½ cup of double cream or sour cream (then you can skip adding lemon juice to the soup)
- Cut peppers in halves, remove seeds, place on the baking tray skin up and roast in 180°C (356°F) until skin become brown-black.
- Take the peppers out from the oven and let them cool down a little bit. Peel as much skin as possible. Leave aside, together with juices from roasting.
- In meantime, in a large pot fry garlic or onion and Cayenne pepper on oil for two minutes, till fragrant.
- Add water, cubes, cauliflower and bring to boil.
- Reduce fire and cook covered till cauliflower is almost ready.
- Add peppers with the juices. Cook for 10 minutes longer, then remove from fire.
- Using hand blender process the soup till smooth.
- Season with lemon juice and freshly ground rainbow peppercorns.
- Share to the bowls, garnish with chives and cream, serve with fresh bread on a side.
Serves 5 – 6 people.
If I have time I like to burn peppers over gas instead of roasting them in the oven, they taste better, stronger to me this way.
Burn peppers over gas until each side is black. Place in container, cover with lid, let them steam for about 10-15 minutes. Rub of with your hands some burned skin, remove seeds and stems and add to the soup.
This recipe has been adapted from Fun & Food Blog.