- 1½ cups plain flour (250g)
- 1 bar (250g) unsalted butter (chopped and softened)
- 1¾ cup icing sugar (250g)
- 5-6 eggs (I used 6 small ones)
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- yellow food colouring or few pinches of turmeric – optional
- 1½ tsp / ½ tbs baking powder
- 500ml whipping cream
- ¾ cup golden caster sugar
- colourful sprinkles
- 15 standard size paper muffin cases or 12 of them + some other tin for the rest of the dough
- muffin tray
- wooden skewer
- piping syringe
- Preheat the over to 170°C (338°F).
- Line muffin tray with paper cases.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and leave aside.
- In a mixer bowl place butter and icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix a bit more.
- Then gradually stir in flour mixed with baking powder.
- Stop the mixer, add egg whites, stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Move half of the dough into different container to combine with cocoa powder.
- Leave the remaining half uncoloured or add a bit of yellow food colouring or few pinches of turmeric powder.
- Pour both yellow & brown dough into the muffin cases. I filled the cases first with brown dough and topped it with yellow one giving it a quick stir but it did not work out too well…
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Check with the skewer if the middle of the cupcakes is ready.
- Let them cool down completely before topping with the cream.
- To prepare the cream just whisk cream with sugar until stiff.
- Use piping syringe to make a swirl on the top of each cupcake.
- Decorate with colourful sprinkles and place in the fridge until ready to use.
Make 12-15 servings.
I made those cupcakes for my daughter’s second birthday to serve next to Lego Duplo cakes she was getting for her gift. She loved both of them but I’m a little bit sad to say that Duplo cupcakes won my little ones heart while the bigger one ate most of the cupcakes I made.
Happy Birthday Ella! :)