Home-made Marble Chocolate & Vanilla Cupcakes vs. Lego Duplo CakesPosted on: 12th Oct 2012
- 1½ cups plain flour (250g)
- 1 bar (250g) unsalted butter (chopped and softened)
- 1¾ cup icing sugar (250g)
- 5-6 eggs (I used 6 small ones)
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- yellow food colouring or few pinches of turmeric – optional
- 1½ tsp / ½ tbs baking powder
- 500ml whipping cream
- ¾ cup golden caster sugar
- colourful sprinkles
- 15 standard size paper muffin cases or 12 of them + some other tin for the rest of the dough
- muffin tray
- wooden skewer
- piping syringe
- Preheat the over to 170°C (338°F).
- Line muffin tray with paper cases.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and leave aside.
- In a mixer bowl place butter and icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix a bit more.
- Then gradually stir in flour mixed with baking powder.
- Stop the mixer, add egg whites, stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Move half of the dough into different container to combine with cocoa powder.
- Leave the remaining half uncoloured or add a bit of yellow food colouring or few pinches of turmeric powder.
- Pour both yellow & brown dough into the muffin cases. I filled the cases first with brown dough and topped it with yellow one giving it a quick stir but it did not work out too well…
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Check with the skewer if the middle of the cupcakes is ready.
- Let them cool down completely before topping with the cream.
- To prepare the cream just whisk cream with sugar until stiff.
- Use piping syringe to make a swirl on the top of each cupcake.
- Decorate with colourful sprinkles and place in the fridge until ready to use.
Make 12-15 servings.
I made those cupcakes for my daughter’s second birthday to serve next to Lego Duplo cakes she was getting for her gift. She loved both of them but I’m a little bit sad to say that Duplo cupcakes won my little ones heart while the bigger one ate most of the cupcakes I made.
Happy Birthday Ella! :)
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through 416 Studios' RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look...
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).