Smurfy Smurfberry MuffinsPosted on: 1st Jan 2012
[adapted from The Smurfin’ Guide to the Smurfs]
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup caster sugar + some more for topping
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- ¼ butter bar (57.5 g /about 75 ml melted) or vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh smurfberries or some other berries + couple more for garnish (we used about 250g of cranberries all together)
- blue food colouring
- large mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- mixing spoon
- 12 muffin / scone tray
- 12 paper muffin cases
- wooden skewer
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (410°F).
- If using melt the butter and leave aside to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, mix well with the whisk.
- In a small mixing bowl using the whisk beat the egg, then stir in milk and butter or oil.
- Transfer content of smaller bowl to the bigger one mixing until well combined.
- Add enouch food colouring to achieve nice smurfy blue colour.
- At the end add also smurfberries and give it a quick stir with a spoon.
- Share the dough into muffin tray lined with paper cases.
- Sprinkle with sugar, top with saved smurfberries and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Use the skewer to test if the muffins are fully baked.
- Let the muffins cool down before serving.
Recipe makes 12 normal size muffins.
If the dough is too hard to stir add a little bit more milk.
If using smaller muffin cases shorten time of baking accordingly.
I don’t really like to use white sugar but in this case white caster sugar will give muffins more bright blue colour than golden caster sugar would.
© ALL TEXT & IMAGES FROM THIS SITE ARE SUBJECT OF COPYRIGHTS. PLEASE, CONTACT ME TO DISCUSS TERMS & PRICING BEFORE REPOSTING ANY MATERIAL. UNAUTHORIZED USE OR REMOVAL OF OWNERSHIP INFORMATION FROM THE IMAGES IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through 416 Studios' RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look...
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).