Strawberry and Chocolate Sponge CakePosted on: 30th Jun 2008
[recipe for sponge cake by my Godmother - Jola]
for sponge cake
- 1 cup egg whites and ½ cup yolks, about 6 small eggs
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs unsalted butter (softened)
- 800g strawberries (washed, drained and hulled)
- 30 or more small fresh mint leaves
- 350g good quality chocolate spread (I used Nutella)
- 600 ml whipping cream
- ¾ cup fine white sugar
- 9” (22,8 cm) round non stick cake tin with removable bottom or even better 3 of them
- food processor to beat eggs and whip the cream
- cake stand or disposable cake base
- To prepare sponge cake beat in a food processor egg whites with salt until stiff, add sugar and beat some more.
- Stir in also yolks.
- In a small bowl combine baking powder and flour and gradually add it to the egg mixture only until well mixed.
- Pour it into buttered cake tin (if you are using 3 tins make sure that you put even amount of cake dough in each of them) and bake in preheated oven to 180°C (356°F) for about 25-30 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the tin and let it cool down.
- In meantime choose 250g smaller strawberries, halve them lengthwise and set aside.
- Then slice the rest of strawberries and prepare whipped cream.
- To make whipped cream mix cream and sugar, using food processor, until thick.
- When sponge cake is cooled down completely, cut it into 3 layers if you used 1 tin, using very sharp knife.
- Place first layer (top one) upside down on the cake stand or cake base. Spread half of the chocolate on it with spatula, arrange half of sliced strawberries on the top and cover with ¼ of the whipped cream.
- Place another layer of sponge cake (middle one) on the top of it, spread the rest of the chocolate, arrange the rest of sliced strawberries and top with ¼ of the whipped cream.
- Cover with the last layer (bottom one) of sponge cake, turn it upside down so the hard part is on the top.
- Spread left whipped cream all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Now decorate cake with halved strawberries and mint leaves.
- Place in a fridge and let it cool down for about 2 hours.
Make about 8-10 servings.
I made this cake today for my step son’s 13th birthday.
Originally my Godmother made this sponge cake with pineapple, peaches and grapes instead of strawberries and jam layer instead of chocolate.
Margot DOLEWSKA DYER is Brighton based blogger dedicated to crafts, recipes, reviews, food styling and photography. She is also behind 416 Studios specializing in web design & photo retouching. You can connect with her via Google+.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through 416 Studios' RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look...
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).