Halloween Short Bread Bloody Fingers or Scary FacesPosted on: 31st Oct 2008
- 315g unsalted butter / 1¼ bar (softened)
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 cup light brown soft Muscovado or golden caster sugar
- 90-180 whole almonds (90 for finger cookies, 180 for scary faces)
- 3 tbs vanilla sugar
- 5 tbs milk
- red dessert sauce to serve (I used mixed berry: boysenberries, strawberries and raspberries sauce)
- non-stick Telfon sheets
- baking trays
- Combine butter, flour, sugars and knead with your hands till dough is smooth and sticky.
- Divide it into 3-4 portions and place in the fridge for about an hour.
- In meantime pour boiling water over almonds, leave them like this for couple of minutes. Drain and remove skin, leave aside.
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Take out from the fridge one portion of the dough, create fingers or faces and place on baking tray lined with Teflon sheets. Bake for about 20 minutes till golden. Leave aside to cool down.
- Repeat the same with the rest of the dough.
- When cookies are cooled down completely serve with bloody red sauce on a side to dip cookies.
Makes about 90 cookies.
Next time I will try to add a little bit less butter as fingers lost a little bit of shape during baking.
To create finger shapes roll piece of dough in your hands, put it across your palm and then squeeze, it will give the roll shape similar to finger. Then attach almond, make cuts with a knife pretending to be wrinkled skin on the joints.
This recipe has been featured in the Sun Times on the Caribbean island of St. John, USVI.
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through our RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look, favourite those you like the most or suggest new images to be added... Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (!)
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).