Chocolate Peanut Butter Triple Layer Cake with Pistachios and Hint of OrangePosted on: 23rd Dec 2008
[inspired by Dinner Cakes who was inspired by Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes]
for the chocolate layers
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2½ cups golden caster sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil, neutral one that does not have strong taste or smell, like canola or Carotino oil, or even
- yellow olive oil not the extra virgin one
- 1 cup soured cream
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbs white vinegar, I used rice vinegar
- ½ tbs orange extract
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tbs unsalted butter to butter the tins
for the peanut butter frosting
- 300g cream cheese / soft cheese spread
- 115g unsalted butter (a little bit less than half a bar)
- 3½ cups icing sugar
- 340g jar of smooth peanut butter
100g unsalted pistachio nuts (chopped)
- 3 round 9” (22,8 cm) non stick cake tins
- food processor to make peanut butter frosting
- cake stand or disposable cake base
- 3 circles (9” – 22,8 cm) from baking paper
- more baking paper
- cling film
- For the chocolate layers butter all 3 tins with unsalted butter, place on the bottom of the tins baking paper circles and also butter them. Preheat oven to 170°C (338°F).
- In meantime combine together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt and mix together with the whisk. Add also oil, eggs and soured cream, whisk until well blended. Add orange extract and vinegar. Pour batter into 3 baking tins, about 2 cups to each. If you don’t have 3 baking tins you can divide mixture and bake one at the time. Layers should bake for about 30 minutes. Let them cool down a little bit before removing from the tins and peeling of the paper circles.
- When chocolate layers are completely cooled down, place them for at least 1 hour in the fridge or even better overnight. Separate them with baking paper so they won’t stick together, cover with cling film so they won’t dry out.
- To assemble the cake prepare peanut butter frosting beating together in food processor cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and sugar until smooth. Divide this mixture into 4 even portions. Place first chocolate layer on the cake stand or base, spread on the top of it with spatula 1 portion of the frosting, repeat the same with the next 2 chocolate layers. The last portion of frosting use to cover sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios, place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Make 12-14 portions.
This cake is very sweet so you will need some sour drink (like cranberry juice) to go with it or unsweetened coffee.
I made this cake for my partners birthday, that is today… happy birthday Michael… I’m glad you liked it :)
Many of Coffee & Vanilla's photos are now available to purchase through our RedBubble store. Please, come inside to take a look, favourite those you like the most or suggest new images to be added... Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (!)
Leave a Reply
This site support Gravatars (globally recognized avatar images visible next to your comments).